Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Aching Hearts


We have included below our letter to Joseph following the loss of his Gram on August 22, 2012 as well as his response.  President Irwin was kind enough to travel to Brno to tell Joseph in person that his Gram had passed away.  We are ever grateful.  It was difficult to have him so far away but we are absolutely sure he was exactly where he needed to be.

August 27, 2012

Our Dear Joseph

So now you know. We have had a week of tender hearts and tender moments and tender mercies.  Gram no longer hurts but boy are we missing her as we are sure you are too!!  It is so weird. Mom came to Utah to help Libs clean out the downstairs storage room and here we are. After lots of tests and days in the hospital Gram was just so weak. She couldn't eat or drink enough to keep her frail body going.  We so wanted her to but her heart was giving out  and so on Wednesday Aug 15th we brought her home on hospice. They gave her subcutaneous medications so that she was comfortable and for a full week we spent day and night keeping vigil. We will send you Aunt Cori's blogpost.   It is a most perfect description of our vigil. Dad has flown out for the last two weekends. We spent many a night with John and Cori playing guitar and singing. If Gram was ever out of sorts all we had to do was have John or Cori sing to her. She still refused to eat or drink after she got home and would only give small verbal or head nod responses to our loves and messages.

On Wednesday the 22nd her breathing became more shallow and her responses to us less and less. Her nurse was here and all of the siblings except for Uncle George who was on a business trip. We had just combed her hair, brushed her teeth and the hospice nurse asked Libby if she had some tweezers as Gram had a few whiskers sticking out. Libs shaved her lip for her, we commented that her heart was just racing and then she just took her last breath and she was gone. You could immediately tell that she was no longer in her body. An amazing thing to experience and very very hard at the same time.

We emailed President Irwin and he was very kind and indicated he would be passing
through Brno yesterday and wanted to tell you in person.  He emailed us after his meeting with you and indicated that you handled the news with remarkable calm.  We know you very well, Joseph, and you hide your emotions oft times even though you feel them inside.  We all loved Gram so very much and we shall miss her immensely.  How thankful we are for our knowledge of the great plan of salvation and that Gram is now free from her afflictions and is probably having quite the sister's party.  We are so thankful for our memories and our faith in Jesus Christ.

Years ago at Clayton Hansen's funeral, Gram told Elliot she wanted him to make her a pine box casket when she died.  He recalled that request, and these past three days, Elliot with help from John Connors, and uncles John and Dave, built from scratch a beautiful pine casket.  It is amazing and is just what Gram would have wanted.  We have many pictures and will send them along so you can see for yourself.   The viewing was tonight and was held in Libby's front room.
It was perfect!  Gram looked lovely and all the sisters agreed that she was exactly how they had hoped she would look.  There were floral arrangements everywhere and the scent in the room was wonderful.  We have lots of pictures that again we will share with you in a coming letter.
So many people came to pay their respects.  Your Gram was so dearly loved.

The funeral is tomorrow at 12:00 at the Rock Chapel in Farmington.  We will send you a program.
We have a horse drawn hearse to take Gram to the cemetery about a mile from the church.  Then, tomorrow evening John and Cori are doing a free concert in Libby's backyard for anyone who wishes to come. Oh how we all wish you could be with us, but we know you will be with us in spirit....and so does your Gram!

The only question we have is to for you to share with us how you are doing.  We are grateful for President Irwin's kindness and caring.  He thinks the world of you.

Please share with us your feelings and then, if you are inclined, tell us about your week and your investigators.

Chris, Jenna and Landon flew here on Friday nite and it has been so wonderful to have them here.  Nothing like a little grandson to ease a Marmee's aching heart.  They will stay until Wednesday as will I.  Marmee will stay on for a while longer to help Libby whose heart is truly broken.

Know that we are thinking of you and love you so very very much!  And so did your Gram!

S laskou,
Marmee, Tata, Chris, Jenna, and Landon

Hello, my dearest family,


Thank you for the email - I was so touched by what you wrote and thank you for the account of what happened. How grateful I am for you all and that Gram was able to go in peace and in comfort. I am so glad that you were able to be there and that you are able to support and lift each other. Please know that, although I am not in your presence to be lifted or to lift, the Lord has truly been merciful and loving to me and has lifted me. Of course I am sad - for parting is never easy. But the Lord has blessed me with a solidity and comfort that has surprised me. How wonderful it is. 

I am sorry I will not be able to attend the funeral, but know that I will be with you in spirit. The spirit of love and unity and the power of the sealing ordinances of the Gospel have no boundaries. 

At first, when I heard it the news in my interview with President, I can't say that I didn't expect it. I thought for a bit earlier how sad perhaps I'd be that my extra kiss in the driveway was the last one I'd get to give my Gram, but I had this overwhelming sense of comfort come over and a little bit of a rebuke from the spirit for being upset over it. The clear thought came to me that that was by no means the last kiss I'd give my Gram and that, while her passing does bring change, it shouldn't bring despair. The gospel is a wonderful gospel of hope and love, and the doctrine of the plan of salvation is such a wonderful blessing. We will all be together again, as long as we stay faithful to our covenants.

I have attached a letter that I wrote to Gram when I first found out that her health took a severe downturn. I don't know if you ever received it, but I made sure to take pictures of each page in case it got lost. It is full of memories I have of my Gram.

Please send my best to all at the funeral and please know that I am doing wonderfully. We had another wonderful week and we're going to be on our way to Family Home Evening in just a few minutes. I am happy thanks to the Lord and the Gospel I am priveleged to preach. I love you all and please give an especially big hug to Libby for me.

Once again, I love you all. 

S laskou,
Starsi Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment