Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Sunday, February 5, 2012

"I love this busy, exhausting, happy, rewarding work"


Hello my dear family!

So this week was quite the week for both Granite Bay and Prague it sounds like! That's so cool about Aurora performing and touring. I wish I could see it, but I'm sure she's just amazing. Let me know how it is for sure - it sounds like a fun exodus to Modesto!

That is also so cool about the Nyeovi( a couple going to Josephs mission this summer who had served a prior mission with our friends from Granite Bay)! I actually saw their picture the other day that Sister Bohne showed me - they look so nice and how cool is it that there is such a connection. I hope my blog will at least be able to give them a taste of how wonderful the Czech Republic is. And speaking of missions, MICHAEL ROSE! Oh my, I haven't seen you in so long! How are you doing? How exciting that you will soon be entering the best, hardest, most exhausting and most rewarding 2 years of your life! And in Guatemala! Be sure to talk to Chris about it  - he'll give you the scoop on Guatemala. Congratulations!



Now for some answers!

1.  Did you get the birthday card from the Whitings...
Yes, I did - in the meantime while I get a thankyou letter off, thank you so much Whitings! You always have been and continue to be so good to me. Love you!

2.  Did you get the second set of sd cards from sue and steve?  They said to be sure to let you know it was no big deal, they were just curious if they had arrived. 
I did get the second batch - thank you so much! I'm well stocked now and will never have an excuse to not take a picture haha!

3.  Was the tea tree gel the right stuff or do I need to send something different?  Anything else you want or need?  more vanilla?
.  The gel is perfect - exactly what I need. Not a hair out of place haha. The shampoo is great too - thanks so much!

4.  Can you send us a picture of you in your new suit?
  See attachment! (1-Me and my recent convert friend at the baptism of his friend from Plzen [see below], 2-Me in my new suit in our little Prague apartment; do you like it!?, 3-me in Jičin [pronounced "yee-cheen"] with the dragon! Jičin is the town of fairy tales. We got to go there for a baptism and afterwards went to lunch - but I just had to snap a picture with this dragon!)

5.  How WAS your meeting with our friends nephew and his family?
  We didn't get to meet him this week because of a work trip he had to France - I just talked with him though and he said that he will be able to meet up on Monday. He is so, so nice, and I'm super excited to meet him face to face.

6.  Is there a wooden base for the nativity you sent because the manger and the bell tower each have pegs on them?  We weren't sure if it was missing from the mail...
  Yes there is a wooden base, but I haven't sent it yet - but I finally bought a box big enough for it, so I'm gonna try to send it off today.

So now for a couple stories from this past week - first of all, I did get to see my investigator/convert friend from Plzen last Saturday! It was so cool to see him doing so well in the gospel - he loves the scriptures! He's read through the Book of Mormon twice and is on his third way through, is in D&C 59, and in Abraham in the Pearl of Great Price. That was just so cool to see. He passes the sacrament on Sundays as a worthy aaronic priesthood holder, and is happy in the gospel. How amazing is that!? I'm excited to continue to see him grow in the gospel. 

Last Wednesday we had a special zone conference with Elder Causse of the Seventy. It was so spiritually uplifting. His message was all about catching a vision of what can happen here in the Czech Republic. He focused on how we always, always teach when we find and find when we teach. He taught us that finding is a MINDSET and not an ACTIVITY. That totally opened up my eyes. All day, every day we are teaching and finding. Every time we testify, we teach. It is a wonderful thing. He helped us realize what missionary work is all about - it's not about being able to build a stake center or having more chairs filled at Priesthood meeting. Those are only signs of what missionary work is all about - individuals. Every person we meet and teach is a child of our loving Heavenly Father who cares about us more than we can ever imagine, and we are here to help each of His precious children to find peace and happiness in this life and to return to His presence after death through faith, repentance, baptism, the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. It is a glorious purpose and a marvelous work.

Unfortunately we didn't get to teach as many traditional lessons last week - our area is still in the growing stages and it's growth is a little slower because of the time we spend in the office. But what I was grateful for was how many teaching opportunities we truly had that just weren't traditional lessons. That was a big focus of Elder Causse's training last week. That being said, we are continuing in daily contact with one of our investigators - she is coming to church this Sunday and we are praying for her to have a wonderful experience, to feel the spirit again, and to want to do all that is necessary to truly come unto Christ more in her life. Funny random story - Thursday night I just sent her a text to see how she was doing and tell her we'd call on Friday, and soon after I received a text saying that she had been reading in the Bible and had fallen asleep with her head in the book - she said that our text woke her up so she could keep reading and she was grateful for that.  It was a testimony to me that even little things matter to the Lord and that the Holy Ghost can prompt us even when we don't recognize it as a prompting at first. 

I also had an exchange last week with Elder Pearson, my Zone leader. He is from Shasta area, so it was cool to be with a fellow Californian haha. I got to really learn a lot from his example and we worked way hard. One of the highlights for me was definitely lunch though - and not just because the Svickova was delicious. We went to sit down and a nice middle-aged lady came and sat down at the other end of out table (that's common in restaurants here). So, being inspired by Elder Causse, we struck up a conversation. She was so, so nice and was so open to hearing more. . She said that she wanted to be a believer but wasn't quite sure how. She is in Slovakia this next week for a holiday (She's a teacher) but we have an appointment with her the week she returns. I'm so excited to keep talking with her.

Well, that's all I have time for this week. Hope all continues to be well in both California and in Boston. Landon sounds so, so, so cute. And talking! When did this happen? Chris and Jenna, be sure to give him a big hug from his uncle and tell him "Mám tě moc rád" (pronounced "mom-tyay-moats-rod") from his favorite uncle. I love you so much - thanks for your postcard, too! I miss you!

I love this busy, exhausting, happy, rewarding work! And I love you all!

S laskou,
Starsi Mullen

  
 Joseph with his investigator turned convert
 and friend from Plzen

 Joseph models his new suit

Joseph by the dragon statue in the city of fairy tales

No comments:

Post a Comment