April 21, 2013
Hello
hello hello! So good to be emailing you yet again! Where'd that week
go? I'm so thrilled to be here in Jihlavska knihovna emailing my
favorite family in the world! I have a lot to write and tell, so I'm
excited to jump right into it!
It's good to hear little Mary Claire is doing well
except for the runny nose. I laughed when I heard about Landon's
"artwork"...oh the joys of parenting! And I haven't even been a parent
yet, but I'm sure those joys are certainly memorable. Please give little
Mary Claire and Landon a hug and kiss (and a nice gently strong
handshake!) from me!
The news about Boston has been quite the buzz
here in Jihlava as well. We were teaching a recent convert and her
mother last week when they told us what happened. I for some reason
didn't feel worried about the Mullen clan, comforted that all would be
well. I knew that if anything would happen, President Irwin would let me
know and there was no panic inside me, which was a blessing. People
here are shocked at what has happened and it has definitely caused a lot
of sombre contemplation.
I was also touched by your recounting of all the
events. Boston is Strong! I'm grateful that the people have taken this
horrifying event and chosen to let it unite them instead of divide them.
That's the goal of this life, isn't it? To seek to improve and magnify
every situation we are put into and to choose to learn and grow from it
instead of letting it canker our soul and heart with hatred. I heard a
recent devotional from Elder Holland called "Isreal, Isreal God is
calling" in which he mentioned that that was one of the qualities of the
Savior - he improved every situation, by healing the sick, forgiving
the sinners, purifying the temple, and so on. What an example to all of
us.
We look forward to the "box filled with love" - thank
you so much. You are so thoughtful and I love you all so much. We have
no requests - thank you so much!
The activity sounded like
a great success as well! Those activities are so important. We talked
about that this week - in the 12 week program we watched a video clip
about ward/branch activities and how much good they can do for
missionary work. I remember Brother Flinders week after week promoting
ward activities, I'm sure putting hours and hours of preparation and
planning along with the activities committee, and I just didn't get the
why of the activities. But now I get it. Just one more thing my mission
has taught me. He was a great example to me, along with many others, of
magnifying their calling to do much good.
So here are a few answers for you this week:
1.
How have your lessons gone? Any new investigators? - Well, this week
has been amazing! We have seen some wonderful miracles and are striving
to stretch ourselves in the work. We were so blessed last week with so
many lessons going through as planned and even getting some unplanned
lessons in! This upcoming week we have on plan to go for 21!
We're being so blessed with a "new" investigator this
week. She was really close to baptism a little over a
month ago, working with the missionaries who were here, but she went to
the spa for a month and we had limited contact with her. But we had a
miracle happen last Wednesday. We had just taught a lesson to a recent
convert family and decided to stick to our plan and go to the local high
school to ask if they could advertise our English class on their
bulletin board. We were on our way when we talked wih the niece of a
member here who came up to us. We had a nice talk and during our chat a
lady walked up with a little girl and asked us hesitantly "Is one of
you named Payne?" It was our investigator! She had just gotten back to Jihlava
and we ran into each other. Some of the members were at the building, so
we went with her to the building to reconnect with everyone. It was
incredible how everything worked out - just as we walked up to the
building, we also saw the Pages, on their last day in Jihlava! It was
such a blessing orchestrated by the Lord for her to reconnect so
immediately with her member friends. We're thrilled to be back in
contact and Heavenly Father is really looking out for her! We have run
into her almost every day in Jihlava (that's one way to keep daily
contact haha) and yesterday morning she had texted us before church
saying that she didn't know if she'd come because she felt sick. We
called her and talked for a bit and she said she'd try to compose
herself and come - and although she came about 15 minutes late, she
came! She stayed for all 3 hours and talked with the members afterwards.
She's amazing and gets along really well with them all and will be such
a strength to the branch. We saw her again today on the namesti and she
said she's so, so glad she came to church yesterday, despite not
feeling good. We're so excited to teach her!
We also started teaching a married couple who are
hilarious. The dad is obsessed with American military
and wants to meet Tata! We've truly been blessed this week.
2. We are sending your new debit card in the package so look for it...any other requests? - Nope! But thanks!
3. Have you been on any splits this past week? - Yes, I was with Elder E here in Jihlava last Thursday and Friday. It was a wonderful exchange and he's a great missionary!
4. What are you doing for your P day today? Are there any neat castles to visit in Jihlava? - We're going to try touring the Jihlava underground, get some czech adventure patchwork pants, get haircuts, shop, and be missionaries! No real castles close, but it's a charming city!
3. Have you been on any splits this past week? - Yes, I was with Elder E here in Jihlava last Thursday and Friday. It was a wonderful exchange and he's a great missionary!
4. What are you doing for your P day today? Are there any neat castles to visit in Jihlava? - We're going to try touring the Jihlava underground, get some czech adventure patchwork pants, get haircuts, shop, and be missionaries! No real castles close, but it's a charming city!
Unfortunately I'm out of time to email, but know that I
love you all so, so much and pray for you daily. I love what I'm doing
and am so excited for this upcoming month. It'll be the best month ever!
I love the gospel I'm sharing - it's true!
S laskou,
Starsi Mullen
No comments:
Post a Comment