Ahoj, ahoj, moje rodino!
This week has been SO wonderful! I love it here at the MTC - it's weird to think that I'm a third of the way done with my experience here. I've learned so much, and yet have so much left to learn. But now, for some neat experiences of the week (I figure that's what you like best anyway!:)
Last Tuesday, we had a wonderful devotional with Richard G Hinckley. It was wonderful - he talked about obedience and gave us some great advice. He talked about being a "I'm so glad I did that" missionary instead of a "I wish I did" missionary. I hope to be the former! He also shared a hilarious story that President Hinckley told him as a child: After Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden and had their first children, Adam would occasionally revisit the "wall" of the garden of Eden. Sometimes, he would bring the children with him, hoist them up on his shoulders to peek over the wall, and say "See that, kids? That's where your mother ate us out of hearth and home!" I laughed so hard! I love the humor here - it's so uplifting! We also had the opportunity to sing Redeemer of Israel as a choir for him - it was very powerful. Tonight, we're singing "This is the Christ", which I'm super excited for. Having quoted it in my farewell talk, I feel very close with those lyrics, and the music is absolutely gorgeous. I love Choir! I wonder who we'll sing it for...I'll let you know next week.
We go to the temple 2 times a week here - we have a temple walk every Sunday, which is just around the grounds, and actually get to go in every Tuesday at 12:55. They are marvelous experiences. I've heard we don't ever get to go to the Freiburg temple on the mission, so I'm cherishing these experiences while I can. I think we're going to do another session today - I love doing them with my district. There is such love and brotherhood between us!
We're continuing to teach Milan and Mario, our 2 "investigators". I've figured out that we've taught 16 lessons in Czech so far - HOW CRAZY IS THAT? 16 in 3 weeks - that's a lot! During a lesson we taught Milan, we talked about the peace in the gospel and the spirit that it can bless our lives with; we also talked about how you can feel the peace of the Holy Ghost in prayer. We asked him to say the closing prayer, which was so sincere. The spirit was very strong. We asked how he felt during the prayer, and I thought he said "nothing new..." which made me so sad! But just in case, I wrote down what he said and asked one of our teachers what it meant, and it meant "SOMETHING new"!! Yes! We're continuing to teach them, and are all trying to more fully focus on their needs. I think I have truly been blesed with the gift of tongues and interpretations of tongues here - I could never have learned this language so fast along.
I am finally finding a good balance now between fun and focus. For the first week or so, I was so intent on being solemn and spiritual that I forgot to have fun! The Lord doesn't need sombre servants - he needs valiant servants, and I'd like to think that valiant servants laugh and have fun as they work! So I've been having a lot more fun lately, while still learning so much. It's truly a blessing.
So, in the spirit of fun, I thought i'd share a couple funny experiences I've had lately - during our last lesson with Mario, I wanted to ask him if he'd read the introduction to the Book of Mormon, or "uvod". On accident, I said "obed" instead...which doesn't mean introduction...it means lunch. Oops. We had a good laugh and continued on with the discussion. That made me smile for sure, though. Other funny language mixups our district has had: Starsi Spencer told an investigator he came on a mission to marry everyone, instead of serve everyone; Starsi Heath prayed for the Lord to "please protect our devil," instead of from the devil. Pretty funny - those brought lots of laughs and have become inside jokes between us.
I reached my end of the mtc goal for gym already - I ran 5 miles in our gym time without stopping. It felt so good! I am truly feeling the effects of the blessing to "run and not be weary and walk and not faint." I love it!
Dad, thanks so much for your letters so far - I love getting them with the little signature cartoon on the envelope! They are a highlight of my week.
I have been getting all my Dear Elders without a hitch - it works great! Keep on sending notes - I love getting them! And as far as the package goes, I would love a couple more fruit leathers/thinkthin bars from trader joes - they're delicious!
A couple of favors to ask - I've really wanted to sing Cori's songs, but I can't remember all the lyrics! Could you maybe send 1 song lyrics a day/couple of days for the next while? I love singing her music here - it really recharges my batteries!
Tell Stuart and Zach congrats on their calls! I look forward to seeing them here - they'll love it!
Unfortunately I must end here. I love you so much!
S laskou,
Starsi Mullen
So good to hear about your experiences. Keep the stories coming! Love You!!! - Your cousin :)
ReplyDelete