Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 2 of the MTC

Ahoj, Rodina!

I'm so excited to email today to tell you about my week! We only get 30 minutes to email (literally - the computer shuts down after 30 minutes...haha) so I'm gonna try to fit in as much as I can in this email.

The MTC is a whirlwind - our district is in a "pilot program," with a different curriculum from anyone else at the MTC that really immerses us in learning Czech and learning the Gospel. I haven't even been here for 2 weeks, and we have already taught 8 lessons to "investigators" (either our teachers or other Czech RMs acting as investigators they had in Czech, or sometimes even just being themselves)...in Czech! I am truly amazed and humbled at how fast the language is coming - it truly is a miracle and the gift of tongues in action. I could have never learned this fast on my own (proof: high school spanish. I know WAY more in Czech already haha)

I, along with nearly all of our district, have joined the MTC choir, and what an awesome experience that is! Our director is hilarious - we like to say that our rehearsals are one part singing, one part devotional, and one part comedy show. What a joy it is to raise my voice in praise of my Lord, along with hundreds of other missionaries here at the MTC! We practice 2 times a weeks (Sunday and Tuesday) and perform at our Tuesday evening firesides. We have 2 firesides/devotionals a week - Sunday evening and Tuesday Evening. The first Sunday I was here, the administrative director of the MTC spoke (his name escapes me now haha), then last week on Tuesday, Elder Neil Anderson spoke to us! How neat it was to be in the presence of an apostle of the Lord as a missionary! And, what was even more special was that the song we sang for the devotional he spoke at was "Consider the Lilies." I love that song! Remember singing it in stake choir together!? Reread the lyrics (or post them on the blog or something) - they're pretty amazing if you look really close, and have so much power and symbolism in them. Elder Anderson spoke on the Merits, Mercy, and Grace of Christ, and the spirit was so strong. This last Sunday, we had Cecil O Samuelson speak to us - I felt like I was back at BYU haha! 

I love my district and the camaraderie we have. We eat every meal together and really enjoy going through this journey all together. I've gotten closer to my companions this week, and to the others in my district. I love how we are all so different, yet are all united in our love for the Savior and by the common thread of the Gospel. 

We have gym time every day except P-day and Sunday for 50 minutes, and I have actually really enjoyed it! That was one of the things I was actually most nervous for (as you know), so I feel so blessed that I truly enjoy it. We sit A LOT here at the MTC, so it's nice to get up and active. I usually run for the whole time, and have actually enjoyed running as I never before have. I on average run 2.5 - 4 miles each day, which feels really good. I run with Starší Heath sometimes, but mostly with Starší Salas and Gabrielsen. I've enjoyed bonding with them all during that time.

Thank you SO much for the packages and letters -  I love getting mail here! It really makes my day. I've been sharing the cookies and toffee with my district and branch (half of our floor is one branch) - please tell Aunt Cori thank you again - the toffee bars were a huge hit among the branch. I told them that they were starting to get stale, and they didn't even care - they just kept on coming back for more! haha.

Every Sunday, we have the chance to watch a church video in the gym, which I really enjoy. This week, we watched Legacy as a district, which was wonderful. I haven't seen it in so long, and forgot how much I love it! I miss movies, but I'm more than willing to sacrifice for the Lord :)

Now, for a neat story from yesterday:

Yesterday, we got 2 new investigators - Milan and Mario. And we were informed that we were going to teach both of them. That day. In Czech. Yeah. I was so nervous, but tried my best to stay focused to prepare a good message for both of them with Starší Heath and Smith. We developed a plan we were all comfortable with, and before we knew it, the time had come! The 3 of us were to teach Milan first, so we all said a prayer together for the gift of tongues and went to contact him. I had nothing but a little phrasebook and a couple notes, but I was ready to talk. We contacted him on a bench ouside, and it went SO well! We told him about God and Christ, the power of God, that He loves us, about the Kniha Mormonova - the whole 9 yards! And the best part for me was that at one point he asked how long we'd been speaking Czech, to which we replied 11 days -  and he was shocked. He told us that we spoke Czech very well. Wow - what a boost! I have to say, earlier that morning I was a little discouraged about learning the language - all of the words started to blend together, and I got scared of the task of learning Czech. It just seemed so daunting. But that experience teaching Milan was exactly what I needed. I truly was blessed with the gift of tongues during our meeting - I could understand what he said and could convey what I wanted to say. I couldn't ask for more. With God, all things really are possible.

Well, I must unfortunately end here. Know that I love you all! You're the best. I do miss you - but I'm so glad to be here. I truly am blessed.

Until next week - Your boy,

Starší Mullen


Consider the Lilies of the Field
 

Consider the lilies of the field--how they grow, how they grow.
Consider the birds of the sky--how they fly, how they fly.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the birds in the sky
and He will feed those who trust Him and Guide them with His eye.
Consider the sheep of his fold--how they follow where he leads.
Though the path may wind across the mountains,
He knows the meadows where they feed.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the birds in the sky
and He will feed those who trust Him and Guide them with His eye.
Consider the sweet tender children who must suffer on this earth.
The pains of all of them he carried from the day of his birth.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the lambs of his fold
and He will heal those who trust Him and make their hearts as gold.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the lambs of his fold
and He will heal those who trust Him and make their hearts as gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment