Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Monday, February 18, 2013

Happy 21st Birthday Joseph!!



Všechno nejlepší do nového roku, hodně zdraví a štěstí, ať se tvoje přání naplní, atd.

January 5, 2013


Hello, family! 

Hope you like the intro line, that is a typical Czech "well wishes" speech for the new year. It's kind of a habit or tradition here to, when you wish someone happy new year, shake their hand and not let go until you've wished every good thing for them. It's a fun little tradition and you sometimes get some really long wishes! Haha. But there you go, my best wishes to you all!

I agree, there's no better way to celebrate my birthday than being here and serving the Lord.

That's so cool that you had the chance to see and spend time with Geeg and Bill and everyone! Thank her once again for the cross stitch. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if you've received it yet, I wasn't going to tell you to leave it a surprise, but I sent at the beginning of December a couple packages home for you all. Again, not sure if you've gotten them yet, but keep your eye out for them - I hope they didn't get lost in the mail!!! But nothing has been lost so far, so we'll knock on wood and pray that all will work out fine. Hope you enjoy it!

The family reunion sounds like a swell idea and I look forward to the opportunity to reconnect with everyone when that time comes. What an amazing gift family is!

So now for some answers!

1 - Haven't gotten the box yet, but I'm sure looking forward to it!

2 - Unofficially yes. President told me when he told Elder Coleman and I that we'd have another transfer together that because of that I'd almost certainly have another transfer as Assistant to train the next one. The assistant's area is one that is quite impossible to "blind out" as we say (when both missionaries leave and 2 new missionaries enter an area) due to all the extra responsibilities and things. Not sure on Elder Coleman's replacement, but time will tell and whoever it is I'm sure will be amazing! We're also not yet sure when Elder Coleman will go, but as soon as we figure out we'll let you know.

3 -  that's great, I'm sure she'd be aboslutely thrilled to hear from you!

4 - Teaching has gone well this week, we've taught a good amount of lessons (way more than last week!) as we've had much more time in our area. With the exception of a couple minor office things that we had to take care of, we had Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday entirely devoted to our area, which was wonderful! We're teaching this lady and she is absolutely amazing. She was found by the previous Elders  who went home early for school, so we picked her up as an investigator. We taught her twice this week and she brought her calendar with her to our meeting and planned out all the lessons before baptism. She will be baptized on January 25th and is so excited! She is so happy to learn new things and is excited for baptism, confirmation, and eventually going to the temple! She is so spunky, too - in church I was sitting next to her for Gospel Principles and was biting my nails (still haven't kicked that habit!) - she then reached up, grabbed my hand, and put it down at my side and whispered with a smile "Můj syn to taky dělal." (My son also did that) She is wonderful and we're excited for her.

We also had the most amazing spiritual lesson with our new member! It was my first sit-down lesson with her since I left the office last  year, and we taught about the Atonement and sacrament. The spirit was so strong and it was amazing to see the growth in her. She is doing so well and agreed to weekly meetings with us - I'm so excited! We'll pray and plan and prepare really well for each one to make it a real spiritually uplifting experience every time. She understands the gospel so well for being in the church for such a short period of time. We asked her at the beginning of the lesson what the Atonement means for her and she said "It's like a tool for us to get rid of bad feelings and sin and feel good again." How cool is that - the first thing that she thinks of about the Atonement is how to apply it in her own life. I have learned so much as I have taught her - isn't it wonderful how that works?

5 - Yes, I did! It looks really good haha - I also really like that picture in the snow. 

6 - This is the best news of the day - yes! We had the baptismal service  this morning at 11 and it was wonderful. She was so nervous to be immersed in water but the baptism went perfectly. As soon as she was out and we walked up the stairs she commented on how quick it seemed, and President Pilka echoed her sentiment in his invitation to the branch when he said how quick baptism is compared to the path that led her to it and the path that she is now on. It really is just a gate, as Nephi described it. She asked Elder Coleman and I to baptize and confirm her, so I baptized her today and Elder Coleman will confirm her tomorrow at sacrament meeting. There were a good number of people and investigators at her baptism  and it was a really special program. Afterwards some members prepared refreshments (yup, LDS members everywhere love refreshments!) and we had a wonderful chat all together and took pics. I'll send you some in a following email. This is what it's all about - inviting people to come unto Christ and feel His love and direction towards the waters of baptism. I pray for all those who've been taught the gospel to always keep that focus and receive that direction through their worthiness to the commandments of our Heavenly Father. 

I love you all so, so much. I have to end now to have enough time to send you a pic of the baptism, but I know that this is the Lord's church and that He is at the helm. He loves us. And I love you!

S laskou,
Starsi Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment