Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Monday, February 18, 2013

Hiya!!

January 11, 2013

Yup, the verdict is...being 21 feels the same as being 20! It denotes the passage of time, but I think that I'll always feel like myself, which is good. Our branch president told us that he still feels like a young missionary haha. It's amazing how time flies!

Oh, I'm so happy you got the packages!!! That is wonderful and a huge relief. I had backed up the pictures just in case, but there was a lot of memories in those packages! So I'm glad they arrived safely. So yes, you see that I've tried to take lots and lots of pictures. I go through spurts where I'm really good at taking lots of pictures and spurts when I don't take very many. But the pictures create a pretty regular chronological timeline which will be fun to follow. I'm so glad you received them all and enjoy them. Like I said, if there are any particularly interesting pictures you'd like explanations for earlier, just send them to me and I'll write a quick caption in my email time, it won't take too long. But yes, Merry (belated) Christmas! By the way, did you get the one for Chris, Jenna, and Landon as well? As soon as you get it, I would appreciate if you could forward it to them. Thanks!

I have received the birthday box and loved it. Thanks so much! I loved the stationary with the pencil pieces on it. I'll be sure to write some letters to some members and the recent converts as an especially personal gift. Thanks so much and great idea! I've also received the envelope with the CTR ring on it. CTR in Czech translates as "Zvolte Spravne" (Zvole-teh sprah-v-nyeh), so it has a ZS on it. So cool though, thanks a bunch!

Way to go on your recognition awards, Christers! So glad  you're doing so well. 

Aunt Sue will definitely be in my prayers this week. Sure do love that Aunt Sue!

Thanks for the update on all the little details of the week - I love hearing about little comings and goings. Real memories are captured in the little details.

So now for some answers to the questions!

1.  Did you get Sue and Steve's package?  They were just wondering? - I had received their Christmas one with all the SD cards (which I now need! I had been running out of memory - good timing!), but if this is a different one then not yet. The post here is pretty darn reliable, though, so I'm sure it would be here in the next week. I don't think I've had a single lost package in my time here. What a blessing!

2.  Did you get a card with money from the Whitings?  They had asked as well. - I did receive their card, please give them a big missionary handshake from me haha. I sure do love and appreciate their whole family.

3.  Tell us about your birthday...- So for my birthday, I did missionary work and loved it! We were on exchanges with the Zone leaders from Brno, so Elder Coleman was gone for the day and I was with Elder Bird. It was a wonderful exchange and we taught a lot of lessons despite having to drive a lot to switch back companions in Jihlava (about 3 hours and 15 minutes roundtrip).But the driving gave me some good talking and thinking time, which I always love. Elder Coleman and DeAngelis called me to sing happy birthday, as did President Irwin. It was a fabulously normal day in the life of a missionary. Most times it didn't even feel like a birthday, which I took as a good thing. Now I'm quite literally "losing myself" in the work haha. Elder Coleman wrote me a really nice note, though, which I enjoyed reading. It was on Thursday before a singing display that I took everyone out to lunch using the VISA and it was wonderful. I had a fresh tomato soup and a spinach pasta with mozzerella and chicken. One fun side effect of my missionary service is that I'm really a lot less picky with food. The whole district said thank you and we took some pics which are on someone else's camera, so I'll have to get it from them.

4.  Tell us about your teaching this week.  Is your convert loving her first week as a member? - we've been blessed to teach a lot this week. She is doing well and we taught her at the home of the district relief society president and it was wonderful. She loves the spirit she feels and is actually moving into a new apartment this weekend! We're going to help her move on Monday. We also had some great lessons with the YSA investigator I told you about in December. He is so amazing and so sensitive to the spirit. He really understands the message and spiritual things and is so open and honest with us. We met with him 2 times this week and will see him at church on Sunday. Random side note about him, he speaks fluent English! He's just super bright and I'm so blessed to know and work with him. We're also continuing to teach another investigator. We have a lesson with her in 30 minutes, as a matter of fact! She is a wonderful lady and is excited for her baptism coming up. We will teach the word of wisdom and more commandments within the next couple days and hopefully she'll be on line for baptism on the 25th! She loves being called "Sestra " and is just a bright, spunky lady. Can't wait for you to meet her one day. Other highlights included a lesson with our recent convert - she is doing so great and is learning so much about the gospel and how to apply it - and with yet another investigator who loves the church but needs a spiritual witness that it's true instead of just a social witness that it's true. There is a humongous difference. But she will be at church on Sunday again.

5.  Did you travel much this week?  How's the snow?  Yup, def a question from Marmee...wink wink.  Be careful driving in that snow!!  Do you want some hand warmers for those cold days? - I think I'm OK on the hand warmers, we didn't have to travel a lot this week but will this next week as we have specialized trainings on plan for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in Praha, Brno, and Zilina (Slovakia). Then we're facing another Transfer week, which are always wonderfully hectic! I love being here! We actually haven't had more than a half an inch of snow in the past month or so - it's been very light. But we'll be sure to be careful and President Irwin is very conscience of it (for example, last year the Assistants and him were on the way to a specialized training in Zilina and it was snowing heavily as they neared the border of the Czech Republic and Slovakia, so they stayed in a hotel for the night and cancelled the specialized training until the next week. We're in good hands!)

6.  What are you studying in your personal study right now? - My personal study consists of everything that we're going to teach in the given day. We're actually going to train this week on how to plan effective personal and companionship studies and the key is studying with a purpose. The whole gospel really is about doing things with a purpose (for example, fast with a purpose, live with purpose, etc.), so when our purpose is the people we are teaching we are effectively losing ourselves in the work and learn so much more than if we just study the gospel out of our own curiosity's sake. I hope that last sentence made sense. Basically, I'm centering my personal studies around our investigators and am learning so much in the process.

7.  How many new missionaries are expected for this next transfer? - Not 100% sure, but I think 7 - 6 Elders and a Sister. I'm excited to meet them!

8.  How many missionaries are going home?  Is Elder Egger one of them?  Who else is completing their mission this transfer? - Yes, there will be 4 missionaries who will make the "big transfer" the week after next - Elder Egger, Weaver, Williams, and Buhler. Yup, So 2 of my former companions will be travelling home. I love both of them and know they'll continue to be amazing missionaries throughout their lives.

Anyways, so hope that gives you a good update on everything. We bought some super sale ties at Tie Rack today, along with a new pair of european shoes! They're Bugatti brand and are really comfy and nice. So thanks! 

I find myself loving missionary work more and more the longer I am here. The love keeps growing. Isn't that wonderful and amazing!? There is no end to love - love of God and love of others. Thanks for letting me be here to love these people and to help them to come to know and love our Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ.

I love you all!

S laskou,
Starsi Mullen

ps...dum dum!

No comments:

Post a Comment