Mission Address (use exact wording below for letters)

Mission Address

(use exact address below for letters -

packages require a different address)

Církev Ježíše Krista Svatých posledních dnů

Elder Joseph Mullen

Badeniho 1

160 00 Praha 6

Czech Republic Europe

Monday, December 24, 2012

Three Days Til Christmas and Counting!!

December 22, 2012

Wowza, only 3 days til Christmas?! That's crazy. Time truly does fly - but at least it flies happily!

I'm so excited to talk to you all, also! So exciting. Any questions you want answered feel free to ask during the call, I have no agenda for our conversation, except that I would love to say hello to Landon! Just to enjoy talking for a bit. So Marmee, Tata, Christers, and Jenna, start preparing some questions/conversation pieces!

How exciting to hear that missions of my group are being well served and accomplished. Whenever we pray with President Irwin and the departing missionaries the night before we take them to the airport he always prays to thank Heavenly Father for "missions accomplished." I'd like to think that I'm accomplishing my mission as I improve every day. I'm still not perfect (and never will be), but I'm sure trying!

I look forward to seeing the Christmas Cards. I'm sure they look wonderful.

Please send my love to Uncle Steve. It is good that you will all be together and enjoy the Christmas time as family. Family is so, so important and I love the perspective on family that the Plan of Salvation gives. I love you so much, Uncle Steve, and look forward to hearing a bit from you and Aunt Sue next Wednesday, too!

So here are a couple answers! If my answers create more questions or if you would like more complete answers, we'll have a golden opportunity next week! 

1.   Tell us about the Mission Conference yesterday in as much detail as you wish. - The mission conference was wonderful. A little stressful to plan (it was a lot less stressful last year when I just got on a train and enjoyed the whole thing without worrying about timing and moving missionaries and such!), but so worth it. We had a talent show in the morning which was amazing. So fun to see the "hidden" talents of all the missionaries. I didn't perform anything personally because we were short on time anyways and I was a part of the afternoon program. But so very fun. We then took the missionaries on a walk in the park while the Senior couples transformed the chapel into a dining hall for lunch. It was absolutely delicious. I felt at times that I was a shepherd myself moving all the missionaries, but all was well and we had a wonderful lunch. We watched a slideshow of pictures from the year and it was right after lunch that I distributed the pens by district. President Irwin announced what you had done and everyone was so impressed and excited to get one. They thought it was absolutely amazing that you had made them all from olive wood from the holy land and the senior sisters LOVED the red pens. It was perfect and I had many missionaries come and ask me for our home address to mail you a thank you letter. I also had a surprise visit from Rachel Lazyk! I was so not expecting her there and thought at first she was a Czech woman who might have come to the building - I even greeted her with "dobry den" - it was when she spoke English and introduced herself that it totally clicked in my head! I got some delicious american items from their commisary - yum! After lunch we converted the chapel back into the chapel and had a spiritual program in the afternoon that consisted of carol singing as a congregation, scripture readings by the senior couples, and all the songs from our Christmas Concert. There was a special spirit there and it was so strong. President Irwin spoke at the end about what gift we will give Christ for Christmas and quoted the song "In the Bleak Midwinter" where it reads "What can I give him poor as I am? If I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb. If I were a wise man I would do my part, but what I can I give him, give my heart." It was a beautful message of Christmas and of Christ. Yesterday was wonderful.

2.   Tell us about your concerts. - The concerts have gone very well and get better with each performance. It's a shame that we only have 1 left! But I'm excited to do it here in Prague for the members. We've been inviting lots of investigators also and there should be a good crowd. 

3.   We assume you got your “silver bells” box and packet.  It’s not much, but it comes with great love to you. - I think I've gotten every one! Thank you so, so much. I'm excited to open them but even more to talk with you all. Christmas is about Christ and about what He did for all of us- making it possible to live with Him and each other forever. So, in that sense, Christmas is also about family in not only an earthly sense but in an eternal sense. I love this time of year.

4.  Did I miss anyone with the pens?  Please simply give any extras away to anyone you choose – members, investigators, whoever.- or keep them for “later distribution.” J - Nobody was missed and I even got the extra pens. I have it planned out who I'll give the extras to and plan to give them out tomorrow. They will absolutely love them.

5.   Share with us an update of your investigators and any spiritual experiences you have had this past week.  We love to hear about those things most meaningful to you. - One of our investigators continues to progress wonderfully and will be baptized a week from tomorrow. We're having it on a Sunday because of schedule complexities but we're very excited for her. We just had a lesson today and she loves the church. She told us how much more she feels the spirit now and how much she's learned from the Book of Mormon. She's currently in Enos and is continuing to feast on the word.

Another investigator is doing great but is on vacation over Christmas and will be back on track in January.

We're working with a new investigator this week who is amazing! He's a YSA aged kid who we gave a building tour to after we stopped him in front of the church building. He told us that he already knows Joseph Smith was a prophet because when he heard the story of the first vision it sounded familiar to him and he felt it was true. He is already in 1 Nephi chapter 5 and is understanding it amazingly. He came into our lesson on Thursday and said at the beginning that he'd probably never become a "Mormon" - by the end of the lesson where we taught him the Restoration and importance of the Book of Mormon we invited him to baptism and he said "probably yes". It's amazing at the change that the spirit can bring about in people. We're excited for our next meeting on Wednesday before the concert. 

That's all the time I have for now, but I look forward to hearing from you on Tuesday! I love you so, so much and wish you all the merriest of Christmases. Make it a Christmas to remember by remembering Christ. He is our Savior and our King. I love him and I love you.

S laskou,

Starsi Mullen
ps...dum dum!




No comments:

Post a Comment